The home of the Cartophilic Society of Great Britain

Convention Archives 1938-1949

Convention Archives 1938-1949

We hope you are enjoying our un-convention-al weekend. This is our latest project in which we attempt to tell the story of our Annual General Meeting and the card fair that accompanied it. At the start it was all very different!

We freely admit that these bare bones are not the entire story, but they are a point from which we would really appreciate your help to add the rest. To make life easier we have decided not to include any pictures, and to lay these out as decades. However in the future we hope very much to have each year as a page all its own with photos and with other archive material. So if you know, or read any details that are not here, whether that is in vintage magazines, online, or anywhere else, please drop us a line so we can add them. Also if you have any archive material that you would be willing to scan for us. Many thanks in advance. And let us work together to create an archive for future Cartophilists

1938
This was the year that the inaugural Cameric Annual General Meeting took place. We have no details except that their year was not a calendar year, it had started in July, and the AGM took place in that month. Legend has it that amongst the topics of un-official business in the room was the founding of the Cartophilic Society, and it was indeed founded in that year. It would have been a good time to discuss it, because then, as now, any collector that could attend did their best to. Of course at that time it was just a general discussion, but many of the officials would become closely connected with the Cartophilic whilst still retaining links, and their posts with the Cameric.
From the outset the new body was to be a learned Society, and to be run on scientific methods, possibly even to apply for a Charter so that Fellows could add F.R.C.S. after their name. This information was freely quoted but never did they explain what the initials stood for, though obviously it was Fellow of the Royal Cartophilic Society. This never did come to fruition. But it does explain the initial mission statement that “The Society was formed for the purposes of promoting, encouraging and contributing to the science and practise of Cartophily”.
They were hoping from the outset to make their patron Lady Margaret MacRae O.B.E., J.P., keen cartophilist and sister of Lord Bute, and she agreed. C.H. Matthews would also become a patron.


1939
At the close of 1938, more development had taken place, enough that the “Cigarette Card News” of January 1939 (vol.6 no.64) was able to report that readers of the magazine would have received a report of the proceedings of the inaugural meeting of the Cartophilic Society of Great Britain, which had taken place at the Anderton`s Hotel in Fleet Street, business being conducted by the President Mr C. Glidden Osborne. In a most delightful gesture of friendship, the London Cigarette Card Company offered to enlarge their own magazine by four pages and hand the space over to the Cartophilic Society free of charge, until such time that they were able to run a journal of their own, furthermore that they would not raise the price of the magazine to subscribers but bear the costs from their own pockets. And bear in mind that the price per edition was just 3d. This arrangement was used to good effect, and in July 1939 (actually the 3rd of July), the first edition of “The Bulletin”, the new Cartophilic Society journal, appeared.

In “Cigarette Card News”, copy dated July 1939 (vol.6 No.70), it was announced that The Annual General Meeting of the Cameric Society for 1939 would take place at the Chesham Hotel, Surrey Street, Strand, London on 20 July 1939, at 7pm. And in the copy dated September 1939 (vol.6 No.72), a report on that meeting appears. It says “The second Annual General Meeting of the Club was held on 20th July 1939, at the Chesham Hotel, Surrey Street, Strand, London, there being thirty-four members present.” The report continues to say “The President, Mr. F.V. Blows took the chair at 7.30 p.m. and after the minutes of the last Annual General Meeting had been read and passed it was announced that the membership had now reached the highly satisfactory figure of one hundred and ten. The election of officers then took place in accordance with the Rules, with the following result :- President, Mr. F.V. Blows; Vice-President, Mr. W. M. Wright; Secretary, Mr. A. E. Cherry; Councillors, Mr. C. Duge, Mr. J. R. Timms and Mr. C. C. Foster.” We mention this because the personalities occur later


1940
inaugural CSGB AGM


1941
second CSGB AGM


Saturday, 14th March 1942
Howard Hotel, LONDON

The earliest Annual General Meeting of The Cartophilic Society that we have managed to track down was the third, in 1942, for which a notice appeared on the front page of “The Bulletin”, the Journal of the Cartophilic Society of Great Britain, copy dated February 1942, (Vol.3 No.31). This read “The Annual General Meeting of the Society will be held at the Howard Hotel, Norfolk Street, Strand, London, W.C. on Saturday, 14th March, 1942, at 2.30 promptly. The Agenda will consist of Official Reports for 1941, the adoption of the Balance Sheet and General Business. By Order of the Council, A. C. Wiggins, Hon. Secretary 1st February, 1942″. However, on page 263 of “The Bulletin”, copy dated April 1942, (Vol.3 No.33), it says “The third Annual General Meeting took place at the Howard Hotel on Saturday April 14th, and although attendance was sparse the gathering represented an excellent cross section of the whole membership. The President in opening the proceedings said he did not propose to make a formal address; and although it was possible to report consistent progress it would be wrong to feel satisfied, for much that is worth while still remains undone. He then called upon the Secretary and Treasurer to make their reports. These were published in “The Bulletin” in full, but we have extracted a just few important parts. The Secretary reported there had been 62 new applications for membership during the year. 49 members did not renew; the hope was that when they returned to civilian life they would apply to be re-instated. The Treasurer said the Society had made a loss, from a surplus of £28 in 1940, they now had a loss for 1941 of £32. However £14 of this was represented by the purchase of a Roneo outfit for envelope addressing and a typewriter. Reciepts from subscriptions had actually gone up by £4, but sales of magazine back numbers, and donations, had fallen. Printing, postage and stationery also cost more; postage up by £3 and stationery up by £7 10/8d. This led to an announcement that the annual subscription would have to be raised to 7/6d which would take effect on January 1st 1943. The shortfall in funds would also be aided by creating a possibility for members to buy Life Memberships. Only twenty would be available and each of them would cost £5 5/- 0d. It was further announced that if more than twenty people applied, a ballot would be held to select the number required. However the ballot was not required, as only eleven members applied. These were Mr. Andrews, Col. Bagnall, Col. Castle, Mr. Crookall, Mr. Gurd, Mr. Huggins, Mr. Osborne, Rev. Pearce, Mr. Pressey, Mr. Ward Petley, and Mr. Wright. These were all elected on the 13th of June 1942. The remaining nine life memberships were then advertised in the magazine as still being available, but we do not yet know the take up. Do you?

Some of these original newly created life members should be well known to you, like
Colonel Charles Lane Bagnall of Chiswick London, who founded the London Cigarette Card Company
Mr Eric Gurd of East Croydon, author of much early literature and Editor of The Bulletin
Mr. C. Glidden Osborne of Marlow, the Society’s first President

And as for the others? Well Mr. E.F. Pressey of Windsor Berks, was a member of the council – Mr. E.L. Ward Petley of Hampstead London, was Vice President of the Cartophilic Society – Mr. W.M. Wright of Leytonstone in London, was Vice President of the Cameric Society.

Up until 1960 all of these life members were still very much part of the Society, though Mr Ward Petley had moved to South Africa. However on the 15th of January 1961 Charles Glidden Osborne died; he had relinquished his post of Society President at the AGM in 1960, and another of our life members, Mr. W.M. Wright had taken his place. Rev. Pearce intrigues me most. He resigned from “the body” before September 1939, due to pressure of his Parish Work – the “body” being the Cartophilic Council, though he does not seem to appear on the council roll prior to that time. However he remained a member and if you look at the bottom of the back cover of the 1941-1942 “Bulletin” magazines it gives his address as the publisher. In 1960 he was still a member, but had moved up to Wakefield in Yorkshire; however on the 1961 roll his address is curiously marked as “(unknown)”.


1943 ?


1944 ?


1945 ?


1946 ?


1947 ?


1948 ?


1949?

to read more click https://card-world.co.uk/convention-archives-1950-1959/

Latest News