Humberside Branch1st August 2020 by Stuart Chandler
1964 – Present Day
REMEMBER WHEN……Radio Caroline is established, Elizabeth Taylor marries Richard Burton for the first time, The Beatles hold the top five positions in the American Top Ten singles of the week and 13 singles in the “Hot 100”, the Forth Road Suspension Bridge is at last opened, the Summer Olympics take place in Tokyo Japan, BBC2 started broadcasting, and our Branch was founded. Could that really have been way back in 1964?
During the mid 1970s we used to meet on the second Thursday of the month at 30 Hainton Avenue in Grimsby. The secretary was Mr. W. W. “Bill” Smart, who I am sure a lot of collectors remember for his devotion to tea cards, but who ought to also be remembered for his devotion to his post as he was still Branch Secretary when, in 1996, we co-hosted the Cartophilic Convention in Lincoln, in conjunction with Lincolnshire Branch.
Our Commemorative card for that event, shows the Cathedral and the address is given as “at the Lawns” In fact, this was a misprint, it should have read “The Lawn”. This amazing building actually opened as the Lincoln Lunatic Asylum in 1820, and it was supposed to be one of the most humane, in fact within twenty years they could proudly state that no form of mechanical restraint was in use. In 1905 it was renamed the Lincoln Lunatic Hospital, becoming The Lawn Hospital in 1921. It closed in 1985, when the Council bought it to use as a venue for events, including our convention, until August 2016 when it removed the glasshouse and sold the rest of the premises for a new business headquarters, cafe, restaurant and theatre.
The Commemorative card for the convention is unusual because it has a double back, one side is for Lincoln Branch and the other side for Humberside. If you are wondering why, it was to reduce printing costs, as both these branches then issued the card, without the inscription, as half size, with a new front, without needing new artwork for the reverse. The Humberside side of this card says it “… meets during the evening on the last Sunday of each month at the Royal Naval Club, Cleethorpes. In a friendly atmosphere, members buy, sell and swap cigarette cards, trade cards, and modern issues such as cereal inserts etc…”. This location was close to the seafront.
At the time of our closure due to the coronavirus outbreak we had been meeting for some while, once a month, at a more landlocked location: The Sherpa Pub, Grange Lane South, Scunthorpe DN16 3BJ – with this most attractive inn sign. Our meetings took place on Saturdays, from 10 – 5 pm. We usually had visiting dealers, and an excellent auction, with lists available to all Society Members on application to our secretary
[Our featured card shows Bridlington High Street – it is one of the set of “East Yorkshire Scenes of Natural Beauty”, 36 extra large cards issued by Humberside Police in 1987. The idea was that you were encouraged to approach the police and ask for a card].
Yes another thrilling tale which this week includes cats, chewing gum, and cartophilic curiosities Our newsletters are written about cards, of course, but they are for everyone to read as open access and free of charge, you don't need to be a Soc
Heads up for a forthcoming football feast comprising almost 1500 lots, including trade cards, postcards etc. The catalogue is online at https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/staceys-auctioneers-and-valuers/catalogue-id-srsta10187
The Hants and Surrey Club are proud to present a postal auction ending on the 12th October to members of the Cartophilic Society. The catalogue appears in full on this post. Do note the vast majority of the material offered was graded by our much m